The manner in which those who were murdered at the Hadamar killing centre are remembered developed in stages after the end of the war in 1945 and was interrupted by long periods of suppression. It was not until the exhibition was opened in the basement of the historical building in 1983 and Hadamar Memorial Museum was founded several years later that a continuity in remembering and remembrance was established.
It was American occupying soldiers, not Germans, who first made the crimes in Hadamar public. After liberation on 26 March 1945, a special US Army unit investigated the crimes in Hadamar. Newspapers and weekly newsreels in Great Britain and the US then began reporting about the killing centre. Already in 1945, a first trial was conducted before a US military court in Wiesbaden.
Although the crimes were illuminated early on, they were soon suppressed and sometimes denied, even in the state sanatorium that continued to exist. Even the relief that was inaugurated in the entrance hall of the institution in 1953 to commemorate those murdered could not change this general attitude. What was typical for this period was that the message on the relief remained vague. Only the inscribed years 1941 to 1945 pointed to the “euthanasia” murder phase in Hadamar.